Cultural & Historic Sites


Aviation Hall of Fame & Museum of New Jersey

400 Fred Wehran Rd.
Teterboro, NJ 07608

Founded in 1972, the NJAHOF exists to showcase New Jersey’s 214-year contribution to the history of human flight. In addition to the Hall of Fame, which recognizes those who have made outstanding aeronautical achievements that have brought worldwide recognition to the state, the museum contains a number of unique exhibits: the rocket engine that propelled the X-15 to incredible speed and height records; the first American hovercraft invented by Charles Fletcher; helicopters; newly restored OV1 Grumman Mohawk; many airplane models and other exhibits. The museum holds public events throughout the year including the Wings & Wheels Expos.


Baylor Massacre Burial Site

County Historic Site
Rivervale Rd. & Red Oak Dr.
River Vale, NJ 07675

This Bergen County-owned wooded park contains the burial site of the 3rd Continental Light Dragoons who on Sept. 28, 1778 were slain during this notorious Revolutionary War event known today as the Baylor Massacre. The original burial site on the banks of the Hackensack River is now marked with the sites original millstone. The remains were discovered during an archaeological survey in 1967 and reinterred here in 1970. This historic park contains accessible pathways and historic interpretive panels describing the history of the Baylor Massacre. Open during daylight hours. 


Bergen County Court House

10 Main Street
Hackensack, NJ 07601

The Bergen County Court House, located in the historic heart of the County on the Hackensack River, was designed by James Riely Gordon (1863-1937), the prominent architect responsible for the design of about 70 courthouses and two state capitols. The cornerstone was laid July 6, 1910 and was completed in 1912. Designed in the Beaux Art style reflecting monuments of classical Rome and Italian Renaissance, the Court House incorporated rich materials including marble and bronze. With a dome modeled on the U.S.


Bishop House

(Ackerman-Dewsnap House) 
176 East Saddle River Rd.
Saddle River, NJ 07458

The Ackerman-Dewsnap Home, which is more popularly known as the Bishop House, was built circa 1835 by the Ackerman family. Located in the Saddle River Valley, this National Register building was first added onto by the owner James Dewsnap around 1870. It was renovated following World War II when the Bishop family acquired the property. It now serves as the community’s cultural center.


Cadmus House

14-01 Politt Dr.
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410

The Cadmus House, the official museum for the Borough of Fair Lawn, is a Dutch sandstone building located on Pollitt Drive next to the Radburn railroad station. The museum has historical artifacts of Fair Lawn ranging from Native American arrow heads to Word War I and II uniforms; maps from the 1880’s; old farm tools and parts of the former Hopper-Croucher farmhouse. Upstairs are the Victorian Room with period furniture and toys, and the Fireman’s Room displaying old firefighting equipment and pictures of early firefighters and the 1941 Plaza Building fire.


Camp Merritt Memorial Monument

County Historic Site
Knickerbocker Rd. & Madison Ave.
Cresskill, NJ 07626

Camp Merritt Memorial Monument marks the center of an important World War I embarkation camp, where more than one million U.S. soldiers passed through on their way to and from the battlefields of Europe. In August 1919, the Bergen County Freeholders purchased land for the monument at what was the approximate center of the camp. Modeled on the Washington Monument, the memorial is a 65’ high granite obelisk. On the base are the names of the 578 people who died in the camp, mostly as a result of the 1918 worldwide influenza epidemic. A large Art Deco style carved relief by the sculptor Robert Ingersoll Aitkin (1878-1949) shows a striding “doughboy” with an eagle flying overhead. In the ground is a three-dimensional stone carving of the map of the 770-acre Camp Merritt. The monument was dedicated on May 30, 1924. General John J. “Black Jack” Pershing gave the dedicatory address to a crowd of 20,000 people. 


Carlstadt Firehouse Museum

Division Ave. & Sixth St.
Carlstadt, NJ 07072

The museum, run by the Carlstadt Historical Society, houses a remarkable collection that includes archival photographs, written documents, news articles, clothing and other items that bring the borough’s colorful history to life. You can find everything from 1930s-era school pennants to early 20th century fife and drum corp. uniforms to a vintage breathalyzer used by the police department. 


The Civil War Drill Hall Theatre

130 Grand Ave.
Leonia, NJ 07605

Home of the Players Guild of Leonia, this building was constructed circa 1859 and is this last extant structure in Bergen County with direct links to the Civil War. In the years leading up to the Civil War, it served as headquarters and training center for Company K of the 22nd Regiment of Volunteer Infantry, the only regiment recruited entirely within the county to serve in the Civil War. The PGL is a community theatre group founded in 1919, and offers musicals, comedies, classic and contemporary dramas, children’s theatre and special events throughout the year.

Easton Tower
County Historic Site
Red Mill Rd., Rte 4 & Saddle River Rd.
Paramus, NJ 07652

Easton Tower is a unique site in Bergen County. This picturesque stone and wood frame structure located in the Arcola section of Paramus was built in 1899 on the original George Easton estate along the Saddle River as part of a spacious landscaped water park. Surrounded by busy roadways, it is now adjacent and accessible by the Saddle River Bikeway.


The Fell House

475 Franklin Turnpike
Allendale, N.J. 07401

Originally called “Peterfield” this mid 18th century mansion was the home of John Fell, Bergen County Revolutionary War patriot and member of the First Continental Congress of the United States. Fell was a merchant who before the Revolution had vessels plying the Hackensack and Passaic Rivers. He served the county as a Justice of Peace and a judge of the Court of Common Pleas. As a member of the First Continental Congress of the United States, Fell ratified the Constitution. During the revolution he had a reputation as a “great Tory hunter” and on April 22, 1777 was taken prisoner at his home by a band of 25 Loyalist raiders and imprisoned in New York City. Fell was paroled on January 7, 1778 and permitted to go home on May 11. Fell kept a diary while he was a member of the Congress for the State of New Jersey from November 6, 1778 to November 30, 1779. The original is kept in the Library of Congress. Open for special events

Fort Lee Historic Park
Palisades Interstate Park
Hudson Terrace
Fort Lee, NJ 07024

Located on the cliffs overlooking the Hudson River with spectacular views of the George Washington Bridge, Fort Lee played significant part in America’s fight for independence when General Washington and his Continental Army, who were stationed here, were driven out by the advancing British army in November of 1776. It was the beginning of NJ’s role as the Crossroads of the American Revolution. The Visitor Center provided information on the role of Fort Lee in the American Revolution with two floors of displays that tell the story of the tumultuous New York campaign of the fall of 1776—culminating in the Continental Army’s "Retreat to Victory" across the Jerseys. Events held here throughout the year and visitors can walk the paths and enjoy the scenic views of the Hudson River.

Fort Lee Museum at the Judge Moore House
1588 Palisade Ave.
Fort Lee, NJ 07024 

The historic 1922 Judge Moore House, home of the Fort Lee Museum, was built out of native bluestone and is one of the most architecturally significant buildings located in a particularly scenic area of downtown Fort Lee. It contains historical exhibits and displays of documents, photographs and artifacts from Fort Lee’s past, including material from the famed Riviera Nightclub, the George Washington Bridge and the American Revolution.


Garretson Forge & Farm 

County Historic Site
4-02 River Rd.
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410

Garretson Farm, near the Passaic River in Fair Lawn, is one of the oldest Dutch homesteads in Bergen County. The sandstone house and farm were occupied by six generations of the Garretson family, from 1720 through the middle of the 20th century. It is the headquarters of the Garretson Forge and Farm Society which holds events here throughout the years. Growing in the site’s extensive heirloom gardens, which are maintained by the Master Gardeners of Bergen County and Society volunteers, are over 50 varieties of medicinal and culinary herbs, and a pantry garden. The farmstead is also a certified Monarch Butterfly Way Station.


Gethsemane Cemetery

County Historic Site
Summit Place off Rte. 46
Little Ferry, NJ 07643

Gethsemane Cemetery is a 1-acre county-owned historic African American cemetery located west of the Hackensack River in Little Ferry. It was established in 1860 as the “burial ground for the colored population of the Village of Hackensack. “ This historic cemetery was entered onto on the State and National Register of Historic Places for the significant role it played in the enactment of New Jersey’s early civil rights legislation as well as containing evidence of West African burial customs. Contains four meditation areas each with historic interpretive panels. Three panels list the names of over 500 people buried here. Open by appointment only, school groups welcome. Free. 

To access the site, please call the Division of Cultural Affairs office at 201-336-7267.

Hiram Blauvelt Art Museum
705 Kinderkamack Rd.
Oradell, NJ 07649

The Hiram Blauvelt Art Museum is located high on the hill in the historic 1893 cedar shingle and turret-style building that was the original carriage house of the Blauvelt Estate. The museum was established in 1957 and features the work of contemporary wildlife artists.

Historic New Bridge Landing
Campbell-Christie House
Demarest & Steuben House
1201-1209 Main St.
River Edge, NJ 07661

Elevated to the ranks of New Jersey’s newest state park in October 2004, Historic New Bridge Landing contains three New Jersey Dutch Stone Houses: the 1752 Steuben House, a state historic site; the 1774 Campbell-Christie House, a Bergen County Historic Site; and the late-18th century Demarest House, owned by the Blauvelt Demarest Foundation. All are furnished with period furnishings. The site also contains the 1889 Pratt-type, Low Truss Swing Bridge at the site crossing the Hackensack River of the original 18th century “Bridge That Saved the Nation”; the 1889 Westervelt Barn; and a reproduction 18th century Out Kitchen. The Steuben House is an esteemed Revolutionary War landmark. It was built at this strategic river crossing that served as an encampment, battleground, military headquarters and intelligence-gathering post. The Campbell-Christie House serves as the headquarters of the Bergen County Historical Society which regularly holds events on this site.

Hopper-Goetschius House Museum
245 Lake St.
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458

The Hopper-Goetschius house on the corner of Lake Street and East Saddle River Road dates back to 1739. Built by the Hopper family, it is the oldest remaining house in Upper Saddle River. In 1814 the house became the home of the Rev. Stephen Goetschius and remained in the family for over 150 years. This site also contains the Van Riper-Tice New World Dutch Barn which was moved here in 1989 to save it from demolition. The site now serves as the headquarters of the Upper Saddle River Historical Society who regularly holds events and gives tours of the buildings.

James Rose Center
506 East Ridgewood Ave.
Ridgewood, NJ 07451

This was the home of James Rose, one of the 20th century's leaders of the modern movement in American landscape architecture. His home served as a constantly-changing laboratory for his residential landscape designs. The house and grounds are open to the public for self-guided tours May-September. The mission of the James Rose Center is to promote sound environmental design through public lectures, student internships, awards, public outreach, preservation, and research. Group tours are available by appointment.

Kearney House
Palisades Interstate Park 
Alpine Approach Rd.
Alpine, NJ 07620
201.768.1360 x108

The 18th century historic Kearney House, known also as the “Blackledge-Kearney House,” contains exhibits and holds public events that reflect Hudson River life. This circa 1750 house was restored to reflect three significant periods in its history: as an 18th century home; a 19th century fishing homestead; and the early 20th century park headquarters. It is located on the banks of the Hudson River at the Alpine Boat basin in Palisades Interstate Park. Open weekends & holidays, May – October, or by appointment.

Little Red School House Museum
400 Riverside Ave.
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

This 1893 schoolhouse museum is the headquarters on the Lyndhurst Historical Society which was established in 1984 to preserve the building. In 1804 Jacob Van Winkle deeded a strip of land to local school trustees for the construction of a school here. The first schoolhouse was erected that same year with money raised by subscription and thus was born the first known public school system in Bergen County. The Little Red School House is the 3rd schoolhouse built on this site and contains the cupola and bell from the second school that was built in 1849. The museum, which contains the Society’s historical collections and changing exhibits, is open year round and by appointment. 


Mahwah Museum, Donald Cooper RR & Old Station Museum

201 Franklin Tpke. 
Mahwah, NJ 07430

Operated by the Mahwah Museum Society and located in the former Winter Library, this museum offers Mahwah and regional history exhibits and houses documents and artifacts related to Mahwah’s past. The collections of artifacts, photographs, historical records and documents are carefully preserved, documented and catalogued and are available, by appointment to historians and researchers. The Old Station Museum is located in the original Erie Railroad station building. Museums are opened regularly and by appointment. The Mahwah Museum Society also presents public lecture series and events. 

Maywood Station Museum
269 Maywood Ave.
Maywood, NJ 07607

This National Register restored 1872 New York, Susquehanna & Western railroad station, one of oldest in NJ, is located in the heart of Maywood. Restored by the Maywood Station Historical Committee and opened Sept. 25, 2004 it contains an extensive railroad museum and collections. The site also contains a restored caboose and engine. This accessible museum is open to the public one Sunday a month and for other special events. 

Meadowlands Museum
91 Crane Ave. 
Rutherford, NJ 07070 

The Meadowlands Museum was created to increase people’s connection to the heritage of the Meadowlands communities by collecting, preserving, exhibiting and sharing that heritage with the public. Housed in an early 19th century Dutch sandstone farm house, one of the few from this period in the Meadowlands area, the museum features changing exhibits of local history and decorative arts, permanent collections of antique toys, pre-electric kitchenware, colonial home crafts, rocks and minerals. The museum is open regularly to the public and holds events throughout the year. 


New Jersey Naval Museum – USS Ling

78 River St. 
Hackensack, N.J. 07601

The centerpiece of the New Jersey Naval Museum is the WW II Submarine USS Ling SS 297, listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places, which is birthed on the Hackensack River in Hackensack. Also on site are: the PBR Mark II, a Vietnam era river patrol boat; a German Seehund, WW II Midget 2-man submarine; and a WW II Japanese Keiter Type II. The museum has exhibits on naval history and technology. Open regularly on weekend for tours and for special events and group visits. 

Old Stone House 
538 Island Rd.
Ramsey, NJ 07446

The Old Stone House was built n the 1700s and is Ramsey’s oldest building. It is now the headquarters of the Ramsey Historical Society which furnishes, maintains and operates the Old Stone House as museum and educational facility. It is a Dutch sandstone farmhouse with the main floor maintained as an example of Dutch colonial architecture and the second floor is a Junior Museum. In the early 1950s, the house and property were purchased by the N.J. Department of Transportation, with the idea to demolish the house to facilitate construction of a Route 17 overpass. The state was persuaded to spare the building thanks to many letters and petitions by the Ramsey Women’s Club and others. It is open during the year for tours and events.

Pascack Historical Society Museum
19 Ridge Ave.
Park Ridge, NJ 07656


This Pascack Valley Museum, headquarters of the Pascack Historical Society, is located in the 1873 church building that was dedicated by the Rev. Henry Ward Beecher. Extensive exhibits include a general store, colonial kitchen, dolls, clothing and other displays of American life in the Pascack Valley. A special exhibit features the world’s only wampum drilling machine. The Society also runs “Pascack Adventures,” the award-winning program for children. Events, lectures and programs for adults and children and held regularly. Open Sunday and Wednesday afternoons throughout the year. 

Pascack Reformed Church Cemetery
65 Pascack Road
Park Ridge, NJ 07656

The Pascack Reformed Church is one of Bergen County oldest congregations and church buildings. Built in 1813, the front and west side of the church was constructed of sandstone quarried locally while fieldstone was used for the rear and east walls. Shortly after the founding of the church, a cemetery was established on the north side of the building. Later a larger cemetery was established on the south side. These cemeteries contain burials of some of the earliest families in the Pascack Valley, some stones with carvings in Dutch, those of early African American families from the area and Native American burials. Open for tours by appointment.


Schoolhouse Museum of the Ridgewood Historical Society

650 East Glen Ave.
Ridgewood, NJ 07451

The one-room schoolhouse in which the museum is housed was built in 1872 and was an operational school until 1905. It now serves as a museum of historic artifacts and is maintained by the Ridgewood Historical Society. Formerly District School No. 45, the museum features exhibits that emphasize the historic Saddle River Valley area in the 18th and 19th centuries, an area that was primarily Dutch when first settled, and also changing exhibits. Open Saturday, Sunday and Thursday, by appointment, for school groups and special events.


The Hermitage Museum

335 North Franklin Turnpike
Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ 07423

This National Historic Landmark building started out as c. 1760 Dutch sandstone house that was visited during the Revolutionary War by General George Washington. It was also the site of the marriage of Aaron Burr and Theodosia Prevost. It was remodeled in 1847 by noted architect William H. Ranlett and is an outstanding example of the romantic Gothic Revival style of architecture. Educational programs for all ages, lectures and special events are held year round throughout the year. The Hermitage is open to the public for guided tours year-round Wednesday through Sunday.


Van Allen House

Oakland Historical Society
Franklin Ave. & Rt. 202
Oakland, NJ 07436

This National Register historic house was built by the Van Allen family in 1748. It was known that during the Revolutionary War, General George Washington, accompanied by his troops, was here on July 14, 1777 on his way to West Point. Now a museum and headquarters of the Oakland Historical Society, it is open for tours and events during the year, including Dutch Christmas. 


VanVoorhees-Quackenbush-Zabriskie House 

421 Franklin Ave.
Wyckoff, NJ 07481

This house, possibly the oldest house in Wyckoff, is an 18th century Dutch sandstone house with early 19th century additions. The original structure dates back to c. 1740, when it was built out of sandstone and fieldstone by William, Van Voorhees. His son, Albert operated a store and tavern for travelers and the few families in the area. It remained in the Van Voorhees family until 1864 and was sold to Uriah Quackenbush in 1867. The last resident, Uriah’s granddaughter Grace Quackenbush Zabriskie, donated the pond in front of the house and five surrounding acres to the town in 1963. It is now owned by the Borough of Wyckoff and opened regularly during the school year and for special events.

Washington Spring Garden
Van Saun County Park
County Historic Site
216 Forest Ave.
Paramus, NJ 07652

This scenic, garden setting in the center of Van Saun County Park, surrounds a natural spring that was visited by General George Washington during the Steenrapie Encampment of over 14,000 American troops in these environs from Sept. 4 –20, 1780 during the American Revolutionary War. Open during park hours. 


Westwood Heritage Society Museum

Westwood Train Station
Broadway & Westwood Ave.
Westwood, NJ 07675

The Westwood Museum, which is located in the Westwood Train Station building, was established in 2002 and held its 'Grand Opening' on Memorial Day 2002. The Museum serves as an exhibit gallery for the numerous artifacts of Westwood's past and records of its history that have been acquired or compiled by the Society.

Wortendyke Barn
County Historic Site
13 Pascack Road
Park Ridge, NJ 07656

The Wortendyke Barn Museum, a National Register landmark, is all that remains of the original Wortendyke family farm. The barn, built in 1760, is an outstanding example of the vernacular architecture referred to as a “New World Dutch Barn” which could be found throughout 18th and 19th century Bergen County. Most were built between 1624 and 1820 wherever Dutch farmers settled along the Hudson, Hackensack, Passaic, Raritan and Mohawk rivers. The museum’s exhibits include handmade 18th and 19th century farm implements and tools, the history of the Wortendyke family farm, and exhibits showing the agricultural history of Bergen County from the first settlers through the 20th century. Group reservations are available by appointment. 


State and National Register of Historic Places Sites in Bergen County

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. The New Jersey Register of Historic Places is the official list of NJ’s historic resources of local, state, and national interest and is closely modeled after the National Register Program. The list of Bergen County’s State and National Register sites, which can serve as a guide to your visit to Historic Bergen County, may be found on the New Jersey Historic Preservation Office website.