Historic Sites

number icon png 1

Baylor Massacre Burial Site

Rivervale Road & Red Oak Drive, River Vale, NJ 07675

Baylor Massacre Burial Site
On September 28, 1778, the British attacked soldiers from the Virginia 3rd Continental Light Dragoon regiment led by Lieutenant Colonel George Baylor, killing 11 soldiers and capturing several others. A loyalist betrayed the soldiers who were sleeping at several homes in what is now River Vale. After the attack, six men were buried in tanning vats along the banks of the Hackensack River. In 1967, these burial sites were rediscovered and, later, the county purchased the site as a historic memorial park.

 

number icon png 2

Camp Merritt Memorial Monument

Knickerbocker Road & Madison Ave, Cresskill, NJ 07626

Baylor Massacre Burial Site
From 1917-1919, Camp Merritt, the 770-acre World War I embarkment camp covered what is today Cresskill, Demarest, Dumont, and Haworth. The camp had 1300 hospital, barracks, recreational, and administrative buildings. 45,000 soldiers came through the camp to and from their service overseas. The camp burned to the ground in the 1920s. In 1919, Bergen County purchased land in the center of the site for use as a memorial to the 535 people who died at the camp during the Spanish Flu epidemic. The memorial was dedicated on Memorial Day, 1924.

 

number icon png 3

Campbell Christie House

1201 Main Street, River Edge, NJ 07661

Baylor Massacre Burial Site
The Campbell-Christie House was built in 1774 by Jacob Campbell, who operated a tavern in his home originally located on Henley Avenue and River Road in New Milford. In 1795, John Christie purchased and operated the tavern. His grandson, John Walter was a famous inventor credited with developing the modern tank and front wheel technology for automobiles.
In 1977, Bergen County purchased the house and moved it to the Historic New Bridge Landing State Park. Bergen County Historical Society operates the museum.

 

number icon png 4

Easton Tower

Red Mill Rd., Rt. 4 & Saddle River Rd., Paramus, NJ 07652

Baylor Massacre Burial Site
Built in 1899, Easton Tower pumped water for several fountains in the landscaped gardens of the Edward Easton Estate. Edward Easton was the founder of the Columbia Phonograph Company, which manufactured and developed wax cylinders for phonographs. The County purchased the site in 1956.

 

number icon png 5

Garretson Forge and Farm Museum

4-02 River Road, Fair Lawn, NJ

Baylor Massacre Burial Site
Built ca. 1720, the Garretson Farm is one of the oldest Dutch stone houses in Bergen County. Beginning with Peter Garretson, the Garretson family owned the house until 1974. The house was enlarged in 1800. In 1902, the house was renovated including enlarging the second floor and modernizing the interior. The county purchased the house in 1977. The Garretson Forge and Farm Restoration operates the museum.

 

number icon png 6

Gethsemane Cemetery

Summit Place and Liberty Street, Little Ferry, NJ 07643

Baylor Massacre Burial Site
Opened in 1860, Gethsemane Cemetery is a one-acre cemetery for African Americans who lived in Hackensack in the nineteenth-early twentieth centuries. Although only 50 gravestones are still standing, about 515 people are buried there. The most famous person is Elizabeth Dulfer who established a successful clay and brickmaking business along the banks of the Hackensack River in Little Ferry prior to the Civil War. The 1884 burial of Samuel Bass led to the Negro Burial Act that prohibited segregated cemeteries. The county purchased and restored the site in 1985.
To access the site, please call the Division of Cultural Affairs office at 201-336-7267.

 

number icon png 7

Hackensack Water Works

Van Buskirk Island County Park, Elm Street, Oradell, NJ

Baylor Massacre Burial Site
Founded in the 1870s, Hackensack Water Works provided water to residents in Northern New Jersey until the 1990s. The plant on Van Buskirk Island was built in 1881-1882 to serve as a water treatment and pumping facility for the company. In 1903, the American sand filtration system was introduced at the plant. In 1920s, George Spaulding, a chemist at the plant developed an innovated carbon filtration system that is still use today. Steam pumps powered the plant until the 1990s. Purchased in the 1993 by the county, the site is still under development and is not opened to the public.

 

number icon png 7

Washington Spring

Van Saun County Park, 216 Forest Avenue, Paramus, NJ

Baylor Massacre Burial Site
Washington Spring is the site where George Washington watered his horse during the Continental Troops occupation of the area in 1780. The spring was on the farm that belonged to the Van Saun family during the Revolutionary War. The county purchased the 140-acre Van Saun Park in 1957.

 

number icon png 8

Wortendyke Barn

13 Pascack Road, Park Ridge, NJ 07656

Baylor Massacre Burial Site
Built ca. 1770, the Wortendyke Barn is a rare example of the New World Dutch Barn that was prevalent in Bergen County amongst the Dutch in the colonial period. The Wortendyke family owned their farm from 1735-1851. New World Dutch barns were known for their H frame construction with steep slopping roofs that maximize storage of crops and hay, side bays for housing animals, and raised floors. The county restored the barn in the 1970s.
To access the site, please call the Division of Cultural Affairs office at 201-336-7267.

 

Contact Us

Greg Lucente

Arts

201-336-7292

glucente@co.bergen.nj.us

Vivian Davis

Programs/Teen Arts

201-336-7252

vdavis@co.bergen.nj.us

Elaine Kiernan Gold

Historical Preservation

201-336-7294

egold@co.bergen.nj.us 

Elizabeth Shepard

Archives

 201-336-7272

eshepard@co.bergen.nj.us


 Bergen County Department of Parks

One Bergen County Plaza • 4th Floor • Hackensack, NJ 07601-7076

Phone: 201-336-7275